Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TOYL - DAY2

3/18/09

If you really had more time, what would you do with it? What's something you'd like to do if you had a couple of extra hours a week that were just for you? Two hours, three hours, or even four hours? Take a moment now and jot down what you'd learn, achieve, or experience.

***
If I had more time, I would DEFINITELY:
1. learn and master piano!
2. learn proficient/conversational Chinese;
3. grow my own vegetable & fruit garden;
4. coach others in becoming excellent like I have learned to become;
5. plan fun/big social events!
***


1. THE DIMENSION OF FULFILLMENT: NOT
URGENT, BUT IMPORTANT

What are the things you did this week that you didn't have to do, but you chose to do because you know they were important? What are the things you did that were not on an urgent time line, but that you just consciously decided to do? For how many hours?

***
Things that I did this week that were important but not urgent were:
1. learning more about health fitness and nutrition;
2. created an exercise schedule and log for myself to follow;
3. spent time strategizing and contemplating self-improvement / life improvement - creating the new and improved me!
4. create a system to track my progress..

TOTAL TIME SPENT: I probably spent easily over 25hrs of time on that in the past 5 days of the work week.
***



2. THE DIMENSION OF DEMAND: URGENT AND IMPORTANT

What were the things you felt like you had to do immediately, and were also really important? For how many hours?


***
Things that I felt I had to do immediately AND were also really important:
1. interface web pages for demo of new web application;
2. researching and setting up schedule for business networking;
3. bills and taxes

TOTAL TIME SPENT: i probably spent over 30hrs+ of time in the past 5 business days.
***



3. THE DIMENSION OF DELUSION: URGENT BUT NOT IMPORTANT

What are the things you did and then later on were frustrated because you believe you shouldn't have done them? In other words, even though there are so many other things that are more important, you still felt like you had to do these things because they seemed urgent in the moment (i.e., other people's monkeys), For how many hours?


***
Things that I did and later felt frustrated because I believed I shouldn't have done them:

1. seeing a movie or going out to eat (socializing at the wrong time and before work was done);
2. visiting famly when I should have been working - staying out longer/later than i should have!


TOTAL TIME SPENT: I think about 14hrs during the week
***



4. THE DIMENSION OF DISTRACTION: NOT URGENT, AND NOT IMPORTANT

What did you do to escape? When you're stressed, what do you use to distract yourself? For how many
hours?


***
Things that I did to escape:
1. chat on IM;
2. email;
3. forums;
4. youtube;
5. music

TOTAL TIME SPENT: the time killers were email and forums... easily over 15hrs - terrible!
***



5. Now, HERE'S THE KEY QUESTION ... I'm sure you didn't write down everything that happened last week, but write down the percentage of time you spent in each dimension (targeting
100% as your total). Remember, everything you wrote down is not everything you did. (i.e. there are little things you won't remember, like watching CNN in the background). But having started this
process, what is an honest estimate of how much time you spent in each dimension last week?

NOT URGENT / IMPORTANT: 29.76%
URGENT / IMPORTANT: 35.71%
URGENT / NOT IMPORTANT: 16.67%
NOT URGENT / NOT IMPORTANT: 17.86%


THE POWER OF LEVERAGE

What are the things that you're doing right now that really aren't that important for you to do? Or, even if they are important, perhaps someone else could do them for you?



KEY QUESTIONS (to keep in mind)
  • How can I focus on those things I can control and influence in order to create a life that is not only fulfilling for me, but one in which I am contributing to others as well?
  • How quickly am I willing to let go of those things that are causing me to experience stress - those things that I can't control?



YOUR ASSIGNMENT


1. Look at the outer ring of the control Model. Make a list of the things you can't control or influence but which you continue to waste time on anyway.


***

Things I can't control or influence but I continue to waste my time on anyway:
1. time spent worrying about what will happen if i don't pay my bills;
2. time spent worrying about if i will be able to pay my bills in full and on time;
***



2. Write down all the reasons why you know it's silly, ridiculous, stupid, and insane to spend time all the things you listed in #1.


***

It's silly, ridiculous, stupid and insane to spend time on the things listed under #1:
1. it's a waste of energy!
2. you only build up stress/acid in your system when you focus on things you cannot change nor influence - this is counterproductive and negatively impacts your health!!
3. the time you could have spent on constructive things (things that you can influence and control) was completely wasted on unnecessary questions/worry;
4. i could be moving myself ahead instead of pushing myself back by sabotaging my attitude thinking negatively and worrying about things;
5. it's inefficient use of time, energy, and emotion!!
***



3. Develop a new belief Write a simple phrase that you're going to start using as an "incan" tation." For example: "This is a 'waste of my time, I'm not going to do it anymore," or
"I've set a new standard for myself," or "I can't control that. Let me focus on what I can control."


***
I MUST FOCUS ON MY NEW LIFE PRIORITIES IN ORDER TO TRULY ACHIEVE MY DREAMS!

***



4. How to create more time now.
A. Identify some activities that are not really important, but because of the sense of urgency you place on them, you spend time doing them-or things that are not urgent or important, and yet they waste your time.


***
1. Worrying about how I'm spending my time;
2. Worrying about how I'm going to make progress on a big project;
3. Worrying if I'll have enough time to get my tasks done;
4. Chatting on IM;
5. Emailing people;
6. Spending time on the wrong priority b/c I'm avoiding doing something I am afraid to do;
7. Surfing the web because I'm trying to avoid something I SHOULD be doing;
8. Doing things that I shouldn't be doing right at that moment that would be better done after the workday is over!!

***



B. Estimate how much time you spend each day or week on these items that don't really matter-or that you could leverage to someone else.


***
8-10 hours a day that my time is misspent!!

***



C. Having found more time for your life by eliminating activities in step A, make a list of the activities, projects, and areas you want to spend time on that would give you more fulfillment. Make the decision right now to spend a specific number of hours each week on those things that matter most to you. You do have the time!


***
Things I need to spend time on that would give me more fulfillment:
(29) 1. Startup business webpages;
(15) 2. Startup business networking and marketing;
(10) 3. Startup business fundraising;
(12) 4. Startup business financials and planning;
(3) 5. Menu for healthy eating throughout the week;
(1) 6. Schedule regimen to follow for exercise

***



5. Don't leave the site of setting a goal without taking the first step toward its attainment. Call somebody, get on the Internet, write a note or letter, or schedule a meeting. but do something to make sure one of those items on your list actually happens.

***
I will define the summary page criteria for the web demo page on my project - first thing tomorrow morning! :)

***

No comments: